Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day

We celebrated with themed food of course! We had fun decorating our flag jello cake. Of course, as we got ready to eat it I had the grand idea of being very patriotic and singing the national anthem. So, we all started to sing as I started to cut--even Ella seemed to coo in a special sort of way. Angie, Sunny, and Logan even stood up and put their hands on their hearts. Just as my heart was beginning to swell with patriotic pride, I looked down at our "flag" and realized that it had been chopped up. Well, it's the thought that counts right?
Here's what it would have looked like if we had hung it up--but we really couldn't do that because, yeah, it's a cake. Okay, so I forgot to switch this pic before I downloaded it, but you get the general idea.



We also went on a hike that morning to a great place near our house called Usery Park. It's a reserve that has several nice hikes in it, as well as some parks and restrooms. Very family friendly and, yes, it has helped us to enjoy the "beauty of the desert." When Jack and I first moved to this area from Flagstaff a hundred or so years ago, we swore we would never hike here--we were still mourning the loss of the pine trees and aspen I suppose. But we have really learned that it IS beautiful here, and our children really love to point out all the plants and wildlife that we see when we get out.

Ella had a great time in her little carrier. Thanks Heidi and Ryan!
Watching the desert blossom as a rose...or a cactus blossom.
Yes, even Caspian got to go--he had such a great time and now he loves to go in the car because he thinks he is going on another hike I guess. This wanting to get in the car works out well because he is such a little stinker and runs out the front door some times. If we are leaving this is very annoying, but now we can just open the door and lure him in, thinking that he is actually going somewhere fun. Then, as he trustingly and happily jumps into the car, we grab him and put him back in the house. But I digress...back to the hike. Trucking along....
What conquerers!

Happy Memorial Day--let's all remember those that "died to make men free."

1 comment:

AZ said...

looks like lots of fun! The desert sure is pretty!