I really should be organizing girls' camp food right now, especially since camp is in a few short days, but I have been wanting to do this little post for a while so I thought I would really quick. Then I promise I will be a good girl and get to work!
Anway, I really LOVE when people list books they have read recently that they enjoy, so I decided to as well, is case anyone out there is looking for a good read.
So, here ya go:
1.What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool
This book is great for anyone who loves classic English literature, and since I am pretty obsessed with Jane Austen stuff, it was very much for me. It is not a story, but an informative book about all the customs of 19th century England--from fox hunting and whist to dinner parties and presenting at court. I LOVED it because it helped me understand so much of what I have read in books, and I also really like learning about customs and cultures--I also think Daniel Pool did a great job of using literature throughout his book to iluustrate the customs.
2. The Goose Girl, Princess Acadamy, and Austenland, all by Shannon Hale
Shannon Hale is my new favorite author! She is very witty, her heriones are always very fun and smart, and her plots are definite page turners. She also really does a beautiful job of descriptive language in The Goose Girl. I don't want to give anything away with these books--I would just say read them for a fun few days!
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Okay, actually I just started this book and am valiantly trying to motivate myself to read it. I have read some other Dicken's books, and they are always hard for me to get started on, but once I get going I really enjoy them as well. So, we'll see how I do with this one--it just is one of those that HAS to be good right? And I am a bit embarassed that I haven't read it yet.
Well, hopefully someone benifitted from my lovely review. Like I said, I really like learning about new books so I decided to share as well. If nothing else, everyone should AT LEAST read The Goose Girl--so very fun!
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I've read Tale of Two Cities a few times and liked it! There's a movie, if you didn't know, filmed after the book. That might be tempting for you but try to wait after you finish the book. :)
Have you read "The Taming of The Shrew?" I like it. This is a good quote from the book- I have this memorized.
"Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper,
Thy head, thy sovereign, one that cares for thee,
And for thy maintenance commits his body
To painful labour both by sea and land,
To watch the night in storms, the day in cold,
Whilst thou liest warm at home, secure and safe,
And craves no other tribute at thy hands
But love, fair looks, and true obedience,
Too little payment for so great a debt."
It reminded me of my parents but now it also reminds me of Randy and I too once we start having kids.
Thanks for the recommends, I'm starting to read more and more. Derek has opened the book world to me. Ella is so beautiful, I loved the pictures of her, and seeing what a great mommy she already is. :)
Have fun at Girls Camp I know you will.
Hey! I recently finished The Princess Academy. I loved it! I look forward to reading more Shannon Hale books. I also recently finished a funny book called "Jane Austen Ruined My Life." You might like it.
I know one you should read!
"The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". It is a series of letters that tell a story from World War II between people on Gurnsey Islands off the coast of England and a writer and per publisher. You will LOVE it! Our RS read it for our book club this month.
Enjoy!
just read the goose girl at your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. say hello to my aunt alayne.
Post a Comment