Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day, more Savannah, and Whatnot

(This is a very scatterbrained post—it is allegorical because it represents my brain right now.)

  102_0368

Mother’s Day started out very nicely.   If it looks like I just woke up, that’s because I did—to waffles, whip cream, and strawberries no less!  I decided to brave church because, well, it was Mother’s Day.  It went…okay.  It’s tough without a husband to sit next to you I tell ya!  I ended up taking Savannah out and having Conner come with to the Mother’s lounge—I think this may happen often—luckily Angie is really good with Ella when I have to go out.  We just take sacrament meeting week by week, so we’ll see how things go next Sunday. 

102_0365

Here’s Savannah all ready for her first day at church—she was an angel—it’s those other two munchkins that give me trouble—at least after sacrament meeting they are in nursery and primary!:)

102_0367

I just thought this was a cute moment—Sunny trying to teach Ella rollerskates.  Ella told me she wasn’t very good on the the sidewalk, but she was great on the grass!

102_0345 

Classic dad and sleeping baby photo…

102_0360

The was me on Easter—two days before Savannah was born.

102_0309

Then two days AFTER Savannah was born, Sunny did this play—she is the Slinky Dog in Toy Story—on the left.  Jack did her makeup because I was a little preoccupied—it was a stretch for him, but I think he did a super job!

100_0497 

Savannah bathing..look!  She does open her eyes sometimes!

102_0362

So, Savannah is doing much better with the nursing and because it is going well I am starting to feel more normal—and become more aware of my surroundings.  And, I have a new challenge—figuring out what to do with my toddlers while I am stuck on the couch!  After helplessly watching them do several crazy things, I decided I might as well nurse with my camera close by so I can at least get a good laugh later…

102_0352 Speaking of toddlers, these two have definitely been acting out more these days…I am sure it is the new baby, but it is tough—any suggestions on things you have done to help toddlers cope with a new baby?  

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so glad nursing is getting better. I can totally relate to kids acting out more while you have a newborn and nursing!

Here's an idea:
When you need to nurse, keep an a opened pack n play in the living room (even if that means you need to buy/borrow another one). Put on a movie and put Conner in the pack n play with some toys/snack. That way, he's contained, entertained and fed. And he can't push Ella's buttons while in there or vice versa.

Engage Ella in having you read a book with her holding the book and turning the pages being your "helper". Kids love being your special helper. Explain beforehand to Ella how you need her to be your special helper now while Savannah is little and reward her with a sticker chart that gets prizes when full.

Hang in there! You're doing an awesome job!

Audra Owens said...

I can't imagine having two little ones on top of a newborn. All I can say is a big CONGRATULATIONS and an even bigger GOOD LUCK!

Amanda said...

um...wow!

Kari Whiting said...

Nope No advice I still don't have it figured out and soon I'm gonna have 3 toddlers and a newborn. I think I really am crazy. I think I just learned to breath better. Oh and how to count.. to 10. I tried locking them in the play room before, didn't work out so well. I would do like Jennie said maybe a movie or cartoon and a snack.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I was looking on Jennie's blog and found you guys:) I'm thrilled you had such a beautiful lil' girl. I remember last time I ran into you at The Target in Mesa... we were sharing stories of the difficulties of getting pregnant. We're having our own miracle this August- a little girl. Still trying to think of names. Hope to keep in touch!